Monday, March 07, 2005

The D.C. Odyssey - Episode 2

Anyway, you have an idea of what kind of a ride it was out to our nation's capitol. We finally arrived, about 24 hours later, to a time share condo in Alexandria, that we thought would be our lodging.

One of our members - who owns a retail outfit that caters to cops - was good enough to provide us with a large time share to stay at. Complete with multiple rooms, pool, etc. When we walked into the door, I'm sure that we all looked like something out of a bad Clint Eastwood movie. 24 hours of straight driving, as well as eating at some questionable roadside establishments, made us not look or smell so good anymore.

The woman at the front counter was little or no help. Of course, there was a pretty good language barrier, that only aggravated the pre - existing intelligence barrier. She had no record of us. Never heard of us. She had no record of the person that made the reservations. Never heard of her. She had no record of the confirmation number that we gave her. Never heard of it. She had no record of the State of Minnesota. Never heard of it. Well, you get the idea.

Keep in mind that this was after 24 hours of the most hellish car trip I have ever been on. Homicide was already but a breath away, and I was now grinning maniacally - - YES, I was going to satisfy my animal urges!

In keeping with the bad Clint Eastwood theme, I was heading toward the door on my way to get behind the wheel of the van, and drive it through the nice revolving doors. Just like Dirty Harry. Truly God was looking out for me that night, as I saw but who walk in the door - the person who made the reservation and whose time share this was. I didn't think that she would be in until the next day.

I told her what was going on and what I intended to do. She talked me out of the later, and dealt with the former. I have no idea what she told the imbecile at the front counter, but within 5 minutes everything was fine.

I showered and went to bed. As I drifted off to sleep, I thought "well, with everything that has gone on, surely the rest of the trip will go fine." Ya/.......................Ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home