Saturday, April 02, 2005

Betrayal

Even with the flood of news and target rich stories this week, I thought that I would reflect on a personal issue - and try my best to not lose faith in humanity.

It was last year at the FOP State Conference. One of our members got absolutely pie - eyed one night, and started ranting at another member - accusing him of torpedoing him in his quest for a promotion. That wasn't all - glasses were broke, and the guy just flat out made a flaming ass out of himself. Like any textbook drunk, he continued to repeat the same twisted logic over and over and over. Now keep in mind that this was a state meeting. As the National Trustee, I try to keep in touch with what's going on around the state. I had every intention of talking to a lot of people that night. What did I end up doing? Babysitting Bluto.

The next year was a continuation of that night. Bluto continued to be a royal shooting pain in the ass. His conspiracy theories would make Art Bell proud. I have continued to cover his mistakes and protect him from various attempts at discrediting him.

He's the type of person that we have all experienced...usually in a romantic context in junior high school. You have to continually kiss his butt, or he thinks that you're mad at him. I am not one to kiss ass, and the older I get, I am not inclined to suffer fools. I guess that he may be interpreting this as not liking him - but I really didn't care.

About 2 months ago, the local lodge president and vice - president told me that they had decided that Bluto shouldn't go to the state conference based on his stellar performance of last year. Being the gutless wonders that they are, they neglected to inform Bluto of this. A couple of weeks ago, Bluto was looking at the schedule and was contemplating putting in for vacation to attend the conference. I called the lodge VP, and told him to get off of his ass and break the bad news to Bluto. Well, he did - and it sounds like he blamed me.

Bluto called another sergeant on a different shift and told that sergeant that he had to "get away " from me and that he was "tired of (my) attitude". In 10 years as a sergeant I have never had an officer tell someone else that they had to "get away from me".

Leo Duroucher was the manager of the New York Giants in 1961. His famous quote was "nice guys finish last". I'm not going to quit being a nice guy - but I guess that I had better get a brown helmet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home